The Social Value Certificate
The Social Value Certificate looks at the systems and processes that you have in place for maximising your social value. It is not about reporting social value and it does not provide proof or a statement that the organisation or programme is creating an amount of social value. The Social Value Certificate is about how you are working towards maximising your value. The Social Value Certificate can be awarded to an organisation or a specific programme or project being run by an organisation.
The Social Value Certificate has three levels, as described below. To progress through each level applicants need to provide evidence to Social Value UK that they are meeting the specific criteria for the stage. Download the Social Value Certification Guidance Document from Social Value International to see what evidence is required.
- Level One: Commit. A commitment to implement systems and processes that are consistent with the Social Value Principles, evidenced through policy documentation.
- Level Two: Implement. The implementation of systems and processes that are consistent with the Social Value Principles, evidenced through appropriate data collection.
- Level Three: Maximise. The use of social value data to drive decisions to increase the social value created, evidenced through operational changes designed in response to data and with the specific intention to maximise the social value created with the resources available.
The Social Value Certificate has been developed by Social Value International as part of their assurance and accreditation services. The Social Value Principles form the basis for the certification. The criteria and certificates have been designed and approved by Social Value International’s Reporting and Assurance Technical Committee. For more information about the governance contact Social Value International (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Why should I get the Social Value Certificate?
The Social Value Certificate has the following advantages:
- Proves to external stakeholders (including funders) that you are aligning to an international standard for managing your social impact and taking steps towards maximising the value that you can create.
- Provides you with a clear pathway for improving the way you are managing your social impact.
Visit Social Value International’s website to view the Social Value Certificate Directory and see which organisations already have the certificate.
How to apply
For more information about the certificate, including pricing, and to find out how to apply visit Social Value International.
Here you will find some templates that can be used to outline your commitment to embedding systems and processes in alignment to the Social Value Principles. These templates have been designed by organisations in the SVUK membership and have been used as evidence documents for Level 1 of the Social Value Certificate. You do not have to use these templates to apply for the certificate, but the templates are open source and free to use if you wish to use them in your application.
The impact team at Kingston Smith Fundraising and Management, in collaboration with Social Value UK, have designed a template for organisations interested in embedding social value into their organisation or projects. This template outlines a flexible social value policy which can be adapted for all organisations and projects.
This action plan was originally designed by organisational members, and Social Value Certificate holders, Talent Gateway, in application for Level 1 of the Social Value Certificate.