The Social Value Certificate
Social Value Principles
The criteria that awards the Social Value Certificate derives from our Social Value Principles and is approved by Social Value International’s Reporting and Assurance Technical Committee. The Social Value Certificate has three levels.
Level One: Commit can be awarded to your organisation or programme once you have made a commitment to implement processes consistent with the social value principles. Evidence to verify this commitment must be submitted to achieve Level One of the Social Value Certificate.
Level Two: Implement is achieved with the implementation of systems and processes, evidenced through appropriate data collection.
Level Three: Maximise is achieved when you begin to use data collected through the processes implemented in the previous stages to drive operational decisions. Your organisation or programme maximises the social value you can create with the resources you have available.
What is the Social Value Certificate?
The Social Value Certificate has been developed by Social Value International as part of their assurance and accreditation services. The Social Value Principles form the basis for the certification. The criteria and certificates have been designed and approved by Social Value International’s Reporting and Assurance Technical Committee. For more information about the governance contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Social Value Certificate looks at the systems and processes that you have in place for maximising your social value. It is not about reporting social value and it does not provide proof or a statement that the organisation or programme is creating an amount of social value. The Social Value Certificate is about how you are working towards maximising your value. The Social Value Certificate can be awarded to an organisation or a specific programme or project being run by an organisation.
The Social Value Certificate has three levels, as described below. To progress through each level applicants need to provide evidence to Social Value UK that they are meeting the specific criteria for the stage. Download the Social Value Certification Guidance Document to see what evidence is required.
Why should I get the Social Value Certificate?
The Social Value Certificate has the following advantages:
- Proves to external stakeholders (including funders) that you are aligning to an international standard for managing your social impact and taking steps towards maximising the value that you can create.
- Provides you with a clear pathway for improving the way you are managing your social impact.
How much does an application for the Social Value Certificate cost?
To make an application for the Social Value Certificate you must be a member of Social Value International (or an affiliated National Network).
|Membership type||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3|
|Organisational member (small organisation)||£250||£500||£750|
|Organisational member (medium organisation)||£350||£750||£1000|
|Organisational member (large organisation)||£450||£900||£1250|
All prices are in GBP and exclude VAT.
How to Apply
- Download and read our Social Value Certificate Guidance Document. This contains all the information you need
- Download and read the Terms & Conditions of application. A signed copy of these must be submitted with your application.
- Download and complete the relevant Criteria and Evidence Form from links below
- Fill out the online application form and upload your supporting evidence
It is also a good idea to take our Self-Assessment on the Social Value Self Assessment Tool. This gives you an indication of where your systems and processes are already meeting the standards. It also has a very useful set of tips and guidance to help you improve the systems and processes you have in place.
Social Value UK will run regular seminars/workshops about the Social Value Certificate. These events will provide you with the chance to:
- Hear from Social Value UK staff about the process
- Meet with other Social Value UK members to share best practice and co-design better ways to implement the standards and progress through the certification
- Learn about other tools, tips and guidance to help you maximise your social value
- On December 17th, we will be holding our first Social Value Celebration. Head here for more information.
This template was produced by Social Value UK in collaboration with the impact team at Kingston Smith Fundraising and Management. This template has been designed for organisations interested in embedding social value into their organisation or projects. This template outlines a flexible social value policy which can be adapted for all organisations and projects.
Click here for the Policy Templates.